lfpinit() signed or unsigned?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Mar 9 22:11:54 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> Yo Eric!

> > > The short answer is "no".  The longer answer:
> >
> > I'm starting to disagree, I see a need for only a signed type.
> >
> > Too often the unsigned type is then used to compute offsets and the
> > casts get ugly.
>
> Gack...  I gotta do a quick U-turn on this.  I found some pretty hidden
> assumptions that I did not expect in the code.  Assumptions that I will
> document, in the code, for the next poor soul that looks at this.

Good.  Keep digging, and learn to be properly terrified.  Somebody other
than me should grok this (and know the fear).

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.