USE_PACKET_TIMESTAMP

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 8 19:31:34 UTC 2017

>> If Solaris doesn't support time stamps, I would expect
>> ntp_packetstamp to die on a #error.  What happened with it?

> I factored the code so that if waf configure doesn't find a way to get
> packet arrival times from the UDP layer it uses the arrival time collected
> in userspace (ntp_packetstamp() isn't called or even built).  So the loss is
> exactly the lag in the network stack.

The "lag" is only under light load.  Round up if a second packet arrives
while ntpd is working on the first packet (or refclock) or the OS scheduler
decides it has something more important to do.

I can't find any hints of that sort of test in wscript or ntpd/wscript.

There was a blizzard of ifdefs in ntp_packetstamp that would do what you
describe.  I think.  The code was close to impossible to understand but there
wasn't anything else it could do.