USE_PACKET_TIMESTAMP

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 8 07:26:21 UTC 2017

Can anybody confirm that Solaris really doesn't have time stamps?  I thought
we decided that all modern OSes did.  That's why we could rip out the SIGIO
stuff.

I took a quick google and couldn't find any mention of anything that looked
like a time stamp in a Solaris man page for setsockopt.  But some of the
stuff I was looking at was surprisingly old.

If Solaris doesn't support time stamps, I would expect ntp_packetstamp to die
on a #error.  What happened with it?  If it does support time stamps, how are
we supposed to read them?  There are a bunch of CMSG macros over in
ntp_packetstamp.  They are useless without those missing symbols so it should
have barfed there too.

> So the fix is prolly to revert Commit a893edc7fa5fdf05b7558c46b2e83db9c7a0881
> b.

I think we should try to go forward.  That commit made time stamps work in
most other OSes.  I think we really want that.

The rest of the code is somewhat prepared for this.  If an OS doesn't support
time stamps, we can go back to using the time-after-select without a lot of
work.  I think we want to document which OSes are broken.