log files

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 4 10:05:25 UTC 2017

>> I see that you have "fixed" things so that the normal startup now
>> prints two log lines on the terminal before detatching.

> Better too much than too little.  I can't duplicate what you see.  If
> you explain your test case I can tweak it.

I think it's a feature rather than a bug.

When I start ntpd by hand rather than by systemd or whatever, I get something
like this:

 4 Jun 02:52:54 ntpd[1633]: ntpd ntpsec-0.9.7+967 2017-06-03T23:25:38Z:
Starting
 4 Jun 02:52:54 ntpd[1633]: Command line: ./hgm/main/ntpd/ntpd
 4 Jun 02:52:54 ntpd[1633]: must be run as root, not uid 1000

The first two lines are there if you are root.

The whole logging area could use some cleanup.  The messages above don't get
to the log file if you specify it in your config file.  I haven't tried
setting it up from the command line.

I think there are two modes.  One uses standard syslog.  The other uses a
separate log file.  You need a separate log file if you want lots of logging.

There is a cron job that digests log files.  We should probably see what it
does and feed it what it expects and/or tweak it to know about what we think
is important.  We probably want a few of the important messages to go to both
when using a separate log file so the cron job will do its thing.

There are probably a few LOG_INFO messages that should be LOG_NOTIFY