warnings from backtrace

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jun 2 20:18:14 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

> > The first thing that catchTrap does is
> > call msyslog and we already know that works since it prints the
> > seccomp-worked message.
>
> Yup.  Sort of, I have seen weirdness in that area.  mysyslog()
> will behave differently inside a trap.  Many syscalls, and lib calls,
> are not legal in a trap.

I have built some private test cases.  I can confirm that depending on
where a trap occurs in ntpd that doing mysyslog() inside the trap will
silently produce no output.

mysyslog() is doing fflush()s so the issue is not obvious.

I can also duplicate this problem with a simple assert() in some
places.

The easy solution would be to just fall back to STDERR in assert() and
traps, but I'm not ready to give up on mysyslog() just yet.