Clocks broken on Mac mini

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jan 31 19:19:09 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:35:41 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Does a 1.42 GHz Mac mini really run at 1.42?  Why does Open Firmware
> say 1.416666?

I think we are heading the wrong way on this.  It is not an Open
Firmware problem and it is not a Mac problem.  I have seen this before
with NTP Classic.  I have verified before that Chronyd does not have the
same issue.

There was a time I used to buy and provision  10 identical servers at a
time. Of the 10, one often had this problem.  The fix was chrony.

Sometimes the clock needs to be pulled more than ntpd expects and ntpd
gives up just before it succeeds.

I think this is clearly an ntpd bug.