Clocks broken on Mac mini

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 31 09:35:41 UTC 2017

I poked around enough in Open Firmware to "fix" the clock parameters.  But it
made things worse rather than better.  I assume some step in my thinking is
backwards.

> When I get some time later today/tonight I'll summarise what we have so  far
> into a single email and send that off to the linux-ppc crew for  comment,
> will copy you and list of course.

I think the most important thing is if they have seen this before, understand
it, and such.  Have they tested with a Mac mini?

The next step would be a quick summary of what the hardware does and how
clocking works, and/or pointers to the appropriate documentation.
arch/powerpc/kernel/time.c reads clock-frequency and timebase-frequency  from
the openfirmware stuff.  Why both of them?

Does a 1.42 GHz Mac mini really run at 1.42?  Why does Open Firmware say
1.416666?

Does a Mac mini FM the system clock to get pass the EMI rules?