Copyright dates

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:30:56 UTC 2017

That's... complicated.

We don't need to have a notice attached to every file, because there is a
copyright notice attached to the project as a whole, and there is a notice
attached to each repo.  Individual files generally don't each need their
own notice, since individual files generally no longer get "detached" from
a project or tree.

But, if you were to copy in a substantial amount of text from another
source, you should make sure that the copyright from that source is
properly declared, right next to the text pulled in.

Also, however, documentation is a bit unusual in that it is much more
likely to be detached and separately distributed from the rest of the
project.  We should make sure that if the documentation is ever printed
out, or is separately displayed on sites like man7.org, that a copyright
notice should be readable.

..m