Crypto timings

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 30 07:13:51 UTC 2017

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Please commit it, then.

There are two issues tangled up in this area.

Build fails on Debian sid (#237)
  https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/237
Debian sid has openssl 1.1.0c

OpenSSL v1.1 compatibility (!306)
  https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/merge_requests/306

I think those fixes will cover what I had in mind.  In any case, I'll keep
out of the way for a while.

> And please do the MD5 code in libntp/a_md5encrypt.c
> and libntp/ssl_init.c to; might as well fix it all at once.

There shouldn't be any MD5 code.  Both MD5 and SHA1 should use a generic
routing to calculate the digest.

I copied some code to make the timings.  It took me longer than expected to
find the code I wanted.  I think part of the confusion was that some routines
had MD5 in their names when they actually weren't MD5 specific.  Mumble.  I
think that area could be cleaned up.