Crypto timings

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 29 13:42:44 UTC 2017

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> I'm not sure we care a lot about this performance gain, given that SHA-1 use
> seems to be uncommon. But the change seems simple enough and would only need
> to be done in two places. Would it change the floor version of OpenSSL we
> can use?

The speedup applies to any type of crypto.  I didn't bother implementing the
MD5 half.  The change is just cleaning up the per-digest initialization.
We'll want it for anything going forward.

man EVP_DigestInit_ex says:

       The functions EVP_DigestInit(), EVP_DigestFinal() and EVP_MD_CTX_copy()
       are obsolete but are retained to maintain compatibility with existing
       code. New applications should use EVP_DigestInit_ex(),

       EVP_DigestInit_ex() and EVP_DigestFinal_ex() were added in OpenSSL
0.9.7.

If we end up with really old versions of OpenSSL, a few ifdefs will fix it.
Nothing older that 1.0.1 around here.