Crypto tangle

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 28 01:12:57 UTC 2017

dfoxfranke at gmail.com said:
> Setting aside any countervailing considerations concerning dependencies and
> binary footprint, yes. MAC computation lives in the real-time critical
> section where speed means precision so any optimization we can get here is a
> win.

Just to make sure we are all on the same wavelength...

I don't think the MAC computation is a serious problem.  At least not yet.

It is on the critical path since we have to put the transmit time into the
packet before we can compute the MAC.

But nobody has complained yet, perhaps only because nobody has looked hard
enough.  That would be a good project: See if you can measure the offset due
to crypto.  Two systems with two ethernets would be a nice setup.  If that
isn't available, try IPv4 and IPv6 over the same link.  Put crypto on one,
collect data, then move the crypto to the other.  Or run both without crypto
to see if you can notice any difference between IPv4 and IPv6.

If the time for the MAC computation does become a problem, I think we can
work around it.  The idea is for initialization to measure the time it takes,
then run-time would adjust the transmit time in the packet to allow for the
MAC computation.