Hash function support, MD5 / SHA256, strawman proposal

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 27 23:00:42 UTC 2017

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> How hard would the following be?
> Just go ahead and add SHA256 to NTPsec then Write an I-D modifying the NTP4
> protocol documenting it. then Write a patch to NTP classic for it.
> (yes, I know, icky code)

I think you are overlooking how long it takes to update the installed base.

CentOS 6.8 and NetBSD 6.1.5 are still shipping ntp 4.2.6p5
(I assume they have back ported all the important security patches.)
4.2.8 was released at the end of 2014

------

That problem area is on my list of really really hard computer science problems.