Current status of --enable-crypto

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jan 27 20:20:21 UTC 2017

Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com>:
> We do need to get wacking on the weeds on removing more of this thicket.

Here are our constraints:

* Daniel has stated that he prefers the OpenSSL implementations of MD5 and
  SHA-1. He's our crypto expert, so he gets to make that call and I would
  have no grounds to even argue with it.

* We have beem warned that these might be removed from OpenSSL in the
  unspecified future.

* libsodium does not carry MD5 and SHA-1, and won't for the same reason
  that they might be removed

Therefore, here are our options:

1. Make OpenSSL a required library and remove the local MD5/SHA-1.  Daniel gets
   his optimizations, I get to remove code, and all is happy unless the axe
   falls and MD5/SHA-1 are removed from OpenSSL.

2. Do nothing.  OpenSSL remains optional and we're covered against OpenSSL
   yanking those festures.