sockaddr_storage

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 27 19:26:25 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 01:14:25 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> > I prefer :ffff: tagged IPv6 addresses for IPv4 addresses.   No need
> > for a redundant flag.
>
> I don't think that actually works.  We need to know if it really is
> an IPv4 address or is an IPv4 address reached via IPv6.

There is no difference between those two.  Just a different way
to encode the same thing.

>  Somebody has
> to switch the packet between IPv6 and IPv4.

Yes, but NTP does not have to.  NTP can just open an IPv6 socket and
shove all IPv6 and IPv4 in through that socket.  Apache does this,
sendmail does this, nginx does this, postfix does this.  Very standard
and very easy.

>  We need to know if that
> is us or some router/gateway out on the internet.

Which is the job of the local OS routing table.  Daemons do not need to
know routing.  Unless, of coure, they are routing daemons.