Current status of --enable-crypto

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jan 27 14:42:41 UTC 2017

> [From gitlab]
> > It uses SHA1 but not SHA0 - SHA1 is an option for packet MACs. There should
> > be no problem with using the ISC version unconditionally.
>
> I though I saw something about getting rid of --enable-crypto

It's gone.  It actually turned out to be a no-op - I think it became vestigial
when someone (probably me) taught waf how to autoconfigure based on the presence
or absence of OpenSSL.

> We currently require libsodium.  Do we require libssl?  If so, we can drop
> the ISC crypto code.

We do not require it.  Without OpenSSL the code still has to be able to do
packet MACs, though; hence the apparently duplicative code.

> Does libsodium include SHA1 and friends?  Do we still need libssl?

I don't know what libsodium includes.  Daniel?