✘sys_fuzz * ntp_random()

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 26 01:18:07 UTC 2017

Yo All!

To follow up on my own mistake...

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:52:58 -0800
"Gary E. Miller" <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> Xeon:	 	fuzz=0.000202, tick=0.000202
> skylake:	fuzz=0.000109, tick=0.000109
> RasPi:	fuzz=0.003,    tick=0.003
> RasPi2:	fuzz=0.001823, tick=0.001823
> RasPi3:	fuzz=0.000937, tick=0.000937
> mac mini:     fuzz=0.0005,   tick=0.001

My eye slipped. sys_tick is greater than sys_fuzz.

> Anyone got the reverse case?

Does anyone ever see sys_fuzz > sys_tick?

Hmm, measure_tick_fuzz() in ntpd/ntp_proto.c ensures sys_fuzz <= sys_tick.

So that is answered.  Can't happen.

systime.c has this odd code:

        if (sys_tick > sys_fuzz)
                quant = sys_tick;
        else
                quant = 1e-6;

Not sure why that last line is not quant = sys_fuzz.  I distrust
magic constants.  Not sure it even matters.  Prolly for legacy
adjtime() that only support micro Seconds?  Not gonna worry about it
if it is just old Macs.