sys_fuzzMime-Version: 1.0

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 24 21:46:59 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
> Makes no sense to me.  Adding randomness helps when you have hysteresis,
> stiction, friction, lash and some other things, but none of those apply to
> NTP.

The NTP case is roughly stiction.  Remember the age of this code.  It was
working long before CPUs had instructions to read a cycle counter.  Back
then, the system clock was updated on the scheduler interrupt.  There was no
interpolation between ticks.

Mark/Eric: Can you guarantee that we will never run on a system with a crappy
clock?  In this context, crappy means one that takes big steps.

I thinnk that all Gary's test proved is that his system doesn't have a crappy
clock.

There is an additional worm in this can.  Some OSes with crappy clocks bumped
the clock by a tiny bit each time you read it so that all clock-reads
returned different results and you could use it for making unique IDs.

If we are serious about getting rid of that code, I'll put investigating that
area higher on my list.  I  think we have more important things to do.