The state of NTPsec as I see it

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jan 23 22:10:57 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > 3. The JSON refclock is a mess that has never worked quite right,
> > without a clear purpose in life. I'd prefer to drop it, unless
> > somebody steps up to fix it.
>
> I could be wildly wrong, but I think that some systems like
> MacOS do not support shared memory, required for SHM().  The
> JSON driver is way to get PPS+gpsd+ntpd running on MacOS.  And
> other OS that also fail to have /dev/shm.
>
> If I were to fix it, I would rip out almost all the options and
> drop it back to basics.  Then get it working on MacOS at a minimum.
>
> If that works for you, it should probably get a new name and driver
> number to avoid confustion.

There aren't any driver numbers any more.  OK, I fib slightly; there's
a table deep in the guts of ntpd that gets indexed by the driver number
when you use the old refclock syntax.  This is for backwards compatibiility,
otherwise they're gone.

OK, strip it and fix it.  We'll worry about the namespace issue once
we know what you had to throw overboard.