The state of NTPsec as I see it

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jan 22 13:06:06 UTC 2017

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > I've now temporarily abandoned getting rid of sockaddr_u.  The reason from
> > this move was to get rid of the last real union construct in the codebase,
> > as prep for moving it to Rust or Go.  However, I have learned from an old
> > ChangeLog comment that thus would increase the memory footprint of the MRU
> > list, so I've decided it to defer it ...
>
> That doesn't agree with my understanding of the code.
>
> There is only one free list.  The struct (mon_entry in ntp.h) ends with a
> sockaddr_u.

>From devel/ChangeLog:

* Remove sockaddr_storage from our sockaddr_u union of sockaddr,
  sockaddr_in, and sockaddr_in6, shaving about 100 bytes from its size
  and substantially decreasing MRU entry memory consumption.

I interpret this to mean that if we replaced that trailing sockaddr_u
with sockaddr_storage, the size of an MRU entry would increase by
about 100 bytes.