Introducing buildprep

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jan 19 22:00:31 UTC 2017

There is now an executable script named "buildprep" in the top-level
directory that attempts to automate the job of installing build
perequisites.

I've tested it on recent Ubuntu and am reasonably sure it will work
on recent systems with a yum installer.

It doesn't yet handle Gentoo, SLES, or the BSDs.  Thiose of you
runnning on these platfoprms, see if you can get it to DTRT.

Note: when we get packaging on distro X we'll tell the script to do a
build-prerequisites pull based on the package metadata.  I know how
to do that on Debian.

During waves of terror attacks, Israel's national police chief will
call on all concealed-handgun permit holders to make sure they carry
firearms at all times, and Israelis have many examples where
concealed permit holders have saved lives.
	-- John R. Lott