Frequency vs. temp

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jan 9 20:14:38 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:07:59 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > Do you really mean "frequency drift" or rather  "frequency
> > offset"?
>
> I said "drift" rather than "frequency drift".  A frequency offset
> turns into a time drift.

Yes, but the long term convention of NTP has been to call that thing
the 'drift'.  We can start to use better terminology, but we can't
disown the old terminology.

> > Merging two files actually is easy, provided that the timestamps
> > align exactly:
>
> The point was that the timestamps don't align exactly.  To get the
> graph I wanted it seemed much easier to "fix" the temperature
> collection program. You can read the drift/frequency-offset from the
> kernel via ntp_adjtime.

But then you lose the information on when the change was made.  Using
the loopstats gives us the time of the change.  And it all gets lots in
the oversampling.