Comments on Replacing C

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jan 9 19:45:39 UTC 2017

Yo Mark!

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 18:30:00 +0000
Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 4:47 PM Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>

> > Yes, threads will help a lot.  I remember when Apache and Mysql
> > started to use good threading.  It really helps when you can use
> > all 16 cores on a CPU instead of just one.
> >

> MySQL is not something I would hold up as an example of good
> threading. I've been down in that code.  It's lock constipated, and
> never was good for more than 4 cores until very recently.

Yes, initially mysql performed quite poorly, but was sTill better than
being single threaded.  Just no where near the scale out you would
expect.  MariaDB improved on that a lot.

Same goes for Apache.  Just look at all the threading models Apache
supports, each with strengths and weaknesses.  Clearly strong
differences of opinion amoung the developers,