Replacing C

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Jan 9 19:22:42 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> Good idea.  I'd do it something like this:
>
> 1. Every time we ship a packet, take timestamps at the beginning and end of the
> critical region.

If it is possible to get the actual time the packet left, then that's
the data to get the adjustment value from.  I'm not sure exactly how
hardware timestamping is implemented in the kernel, but at least some of
the interfaces should be able to read back the timestamp that was
attached to the outgoing packet.

> 2. On the next send, adjust the timerstamp by the average of all previous ones.

You'd want to cut the (perhaps long) tail on the resulting distribution
and then maybe get a more robust estimate than a simple average.

Regards,
Achim.