Replacing C

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 9 02:58:45 UTC 2017

>> I don't think the I/O waits are important.  We need to work
>> correctly when the server is overloaded.
> Serious question: how often does this actually happen? I want to get a feel
> for scale.

The NIST servers have a long tradition of being overloaded.

There was a graph recently on the pool list, showing huge spikes on the hour.
  http://leobodnar.com/files/100Mb-peak-NTP-pool.png

> 2. On the next send, adjust the timerstamp by the average of all previous
> ones.

I can think of a couple of mechanisms that would generate outliers.  So I'd modify that with something like "Try again if it's too far off".  (Which assumes you are checking before actually sending.)