Replacing C

Daniel Franke dfoxfranke at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 02:13:27 UTC 2017

Yes, on top of our having mostly dropped symmetric and peer modes,
interleaved mode was never implemented correctly to begin with. It behaved
as though the time at which send() returns was the time when the packet
left the network card, which is an absurd misunderstanding of how OS
kernels work.

I'd someday like to bring back support for something similar to interleaved
mode, but run through extension fields, which would allow it to work in
client/server mode. The protocol machine would be the easy part; the hard
part would be speaking all the various platform-specific APIs for getting
hardware timestamps out of the NIC. We might content ourselves with making
it a Linux-only feature and cribbing code from linux-ptp.