Replacing C

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 8 23:51:13 UTC 2017

[Transmit path]
> No, I'd much rather put in a GC lockout on the critical region than
> complicate the protocol.

That works if the environment has a GC lockout.  Is that a column on your
features list?

> ntpd spends enough time in I/O waits that I do not think latency spikes will
> otherwise induce any problems above measurement noise.

I don't think the I/O waits are important.  We need to work correctly when
the server is overloaded.

The key idea is that the server contributes 2 time stamps, the difference is
how long the packet spent on the server, either waiting to get processed
and/or actually getting processed say because the crypto takes a lot of CPU
cycles.

We should measure the time from grabbing the time stamp to sending the
packet.  That might include some crypto.  We might get better results by
adjusting the time stamp to compensate for that.