Replacing C (was: Re: The end of the beginning is in sight)

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Sun Jan 8 19:36:28 UTC 2017

>>> 3. Move the codebase to Go or Rust?
>>
>> While I understand what kind of problem you're trying to solve, at the
>> moment I see neither of those two languages survive for long if their
>> current parent projects change course (again).
>
> I'm not worried about that for Go, because Google has sunk a lot of investment
> into million-line Go programs (like running YouTube and the Chrome download
> server). Because those are unlikely to go away, so is its funding case.  This
> is actually one of the stronger arguments for Go.
>
> I *am* a little worried about this with respect to Rust.  I don't see
> any core project by a deep-pocketed backer anchoring its funding, no
> YouTube equivalent.  The Mozilla Foundation is not doing well and
> could plausibly crash in a few years.
>
> You raise a good point about Erlang.  I should probably learn it.  One
> difficulty that gives me a little pause is translation distance, though.
> If we have to hand-translate the code, Go is barely a jump at all; Rust
> is somewhat trickier, and Erlang (from what little I know of it) would
> probably be significantly trickier than Rust.
>
> (This ordering changes if Corrode really works, at which point the
> case for Rust gets rather stronger.  That wouldn't do anything
> to reduce Erlang's distance, though.)

If you haven’t seen this, you might be interested.  Not sure of the quality (experimental?)

Google boosts Python by turning it into Go:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3154624/application-development/google-boosts-python-by-turning-it-into-go.html <http://www.infoworld.com/article/3154624/application-development/google-boosts-python-by-turning-it-into-go.html>
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2017/01/grumpy-go-running-python.html <https://opensource.googleblog.com/2017/01/grumpy-go-running-python.html>
https://github.com/google/grumpy <https://github.com/google/grumpy>