Replacing C

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jan 8 15:51:31 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> But how to define that space is itself not entirely clear.  One of the
> more intelligent comments in the (generally high-quality) discussion of
> the "Getting past C" blog post argued that because ntpd is more like a
> network service daemon than an OS kernel, Go is a better fit than
> Rust. I think there is merit in that argument, and it suggests that
> the YouTube service *is* "the exact space".

The part of "servicing several thousand client systems" might be coerced
into fitting that description, but YouTube doesn't care for the same
level of consistent latency and/or small jitter and it certainly deals
with a lot more bandwidth per client than an NTP server would.  It also
describes just one tiny part of what ntpd is used for (low stratum pool
server) commonly and leaves out the more common case of it being used to
set the time of a computer based on multiple servers (in contrast to
sntpd, which uses only a single one).  There may be a chance to untangle
those use cases by refactoring, but that is then independent of the
language discussion.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: