The end of the beginning is in sight

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jan 8 10:16:09 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> 1. Performance and algorithm tuning - we need to take a serious swing
> at Gary's slow-convergence problem, in particular.

This objective needs to be defined more properly.  At the moment I'm not
all that convinced that this is a real defect considering the guarantees
that NTP makes about the _maximum_ error and the constraints it's
operating under.  It may be possible to re-evaluate some of the external
constraints w.r.t. precise PPS sources and gain some performance there,
but I'd rather want to see the PPS handling working in a tickless kernel
and hence moving out of NTP.

> 3. Move the codebase to Go or Rust?

While I understand what kind of problem you're trying to solve, at the
moment I see neither of those two languages survive for long if their
current parent projects change course (again).  Considering the space
you're operating in and the objectives you have, another candidate would
be Erlang/OTP.  Ada has already been mentioned, although I'm not a big
fan of its overly verbose syntax.  Last but not least, moving the code
base to some suitably constrained subset of C++ might also be an option.

Regards,
Achim.