NTPsec leap second experience

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Jan 7 21:29:06 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de>:
> So I guess the NTP loop actually was already nearly converged after the
> GPS burp and before the arrival of the leap second.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have understood very little
of your exposition about this.  I'm a software systems architect, not
a metrologist, and the stuff going on down at the PLL level is still a
bit beyond my ken.

However, what I *do* take away is that our drastic reduction surgery
on the rest of the suite apparently has not accidentally damaged the
PLL nor screwed up its convergence properties. I find that very
reassuring.