The end of the beginning is in sight

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Jan 7 12:01:37 UTC 2017

> > The successful scalarization of both 64-bit timestamp types has now been
> > achieved.  There's a draft about how this was done in the blog repo: _drafts/
> > cant-we-all-just-get-a-long.ad
>
> How much testing has been done?

If you're running any pull from the last three days, you're testing it.

> TESTFRAME would have helped for this sort of change.

TESTFRAME would have helped with a lot of things. If you know of any way
to eliminate the code-path split that sunk the concept, I'm all ears.

> I know about l_fp.  What's the second 64-bit timestamp type?

It's called time64_t.  It used to be vint64.  It's used for calendar
computations.  I think it has identical semantics to l_fp; at some
point I might try unifying the two.