The end of the beginning is in sight

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jan 6 17:14:35 UTC 2017

The successful scalarization of both 64-bit timestamp types has now
been achieved.  There's a draft about how this was done in the blog
repo: _drafts/cant-we-all-just-get-a-long.ad

This brings us to an interesting place.  I can't say the C cleanup
work is done yet, but that point is now visible in the middle
distance. There are only two major tasks left; one is the replacement
of sockaddr_u by sockaddr_storage, and the other is ripping out all
the interface-scanning stuff so we lose the dependency on
getifaddrs(3) and use wildcard interfaces only.

This is a big deal. There's still an immense amount of work ahead of
us once the C cleanup is done, but it's going to change character.
At that point our major challenges start to look like this:

1. Performance and algorithm tuning - we need to take a serious swing
at Gary's slow-convergence problem, in particular.

2. NTS standardization and implementation.

3. Move the codebase to Go or Rust?

4. Design/implement/standardize protocol extensions for communicating
   UTC vs. TAI and other things.

5. Factor out the clock-manager daemon.

6. ntpshark - probably as a layer over scapy

7. NTPv5? Maybe a new base protocol, maybe a set of required extension blocks.

My end goal is (a) NTP as close to provably secure as technology
permits, and (b) a sound NTPv5 protocol design.

It's a big job, but I think we have the skills to do it on this team.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power.
	-- Abraham Lincoln