Am I missing something simple here?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 4 02:18:30 UTC 2017

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Like I said, the pool host returns its usual number of peers.  Then they
> hang in INIT state forever.

I assume that reach is 0 so no packets are getting back and through the
packet level sanity checks.

I would use tcpdump or wireshark to spy on the network traffic.  The first
step is a sanity check on the request.  I think there is only 1 slot that
should be filled in with the time.  Compare with a non-broken system.

The second step is to see if anything is coming back.  If nothing comes back,
the request is probably broken so badly that the server ignores it.

If something comes back, the next question is why is it getting ignored.
There is a filter than sets a whole bunch of flags.  Find the test that drops
the packet and add some debugging printout to show the flags (and IP address).