RfC: grant gitlab "guest" just for the asking

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 3 20:50:26 UTC 2017

> I think it may be productive to hand out Guest level access just for the
> asking, for the sake of growing our community.

> Before I dictact that as a new policy, what do the other contributors and
> interested people think?

Whatever you decide, we should be sure to document the policy and reasoning
behind it someplace where it is easy to find.

A note at the top of devel/README may be appropriate.  Someplace on the
gitlab web stuff would be better.

I see no reason to use Guest access on a project as open/public as ours.

--------

What would help me is a guide to the workflow and using git and/or gitlab.

git has a bazillion bells and whistles.  I can read the help/man page and
usually get it to do something after I get to the right sub-command.  But
some of them are pretty complicated.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is fixup a commit if I find a bug before
I do a push.  That seems like a reasonably common problem.  It's also
important since the bug might break bisecting.