PPS documentation

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Feb 26 20:21:48 UTC 2017

Yo Achim!

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:29:59 +0100
Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:

> The kernel PPS documentation in docs/kernpps.txt still mentions
> PPSkit as the PPS API provider on Linux.  PPSkit has not seen a
> release since 2007 and was replaced with the integration of LinuxPPS
> into the mainline kernel somewhere in 2009.

I do not see anything in that file I disagree with.  Can you be more
specific on what you dislike in there?

> It should probably be mentioned that hardpps is not available even
> with the PPS API present on most distributions since it is
> incompatible with a tickless kernel, something that became standard
> somewhere in the 3.x line of Linux kernels ca. 2012.

Ah, no.  KPPS works better on kernels with a tick, but not incompatible
with tickless.  And most tickless kernels distributed by distros have
the option at boot time to change the tick configuration.  Certainly
RasPian is that way.

Can you be more specific on a kernel that does not work?

I'm not even sure how much better going 1kHz tick is than the other options.
I'll run some tests.