l_fp access macros (was: DCF77 driver seems to be broken)

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Feb 22 18:46:31 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de>:
> Just out of curiosity, why have you defined the l_fp access macros in
> such an overly redundant manner?  I realize that the compiler will
> optimize most of that away, but it seems odd to do that in the first
> place unless you're expecting to support a platform that has a
> non-conforming compiler that doesn't implement conversions between types
> of different rank correctly.

It was something like that, though not as specific.  I have old habits from
pre-ANSI days that might be excessively cautious in a C99-conforming
environment.

Fortunately, we have good regression tests for those macros.  So if you want
to submit a simplification MR, feel free.  Just be sure you still get this
afterwards.

$ ./waf check
Waf: Entering directory `/home/esr/software/ntp-rescue/ntpsec/build/main'
[190/231] Processing build/main/tests/test_libntp
[198/231] Processing build/main/tests/test_ntpd
Waf: Leaving directory `/home/esr/software/ntp-rescue/ntpsec/build/main'
Wrote test log to:  /home/esr/software/ntp-rescue/ntpsec/build/main/test.log
execution summary
  tests that pass 2/2
    /home/esr/software/ntp-rescue/ntpsec/build/main/tests/test_ntpd
    /home/esr/software/ntp-rescue/ntpsec/build/main/tests/test_libntp
  tests that fail 0/2

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.