ntpq peers formatting needs floating point for time slots.

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Feb 7 19:36:15 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller writes:
>> That slot should represent the number of useful bits.
>
> Yup.  And in Selsky's case he really does have -30.

Nope.  The resolution of the numbers is 1ns, the useful digits aka
precision of the measurement doesn't extend that far down.  That -30
would be equivalent to 931ps, which is completely implausible.  I'll
give you 30ns tops, that would be -25.  You supposedly can get down to
about half that, but it needs another atomic clock as a reference.

http://www.allanstime.com/Publications/DWA/Science_Timekeeping/TheScienceOfTimekeeping.pdf
https://ilrs.cddis.eosdis.nasa.gov/docs/timing/gpsrole.pdf

The on-the-tin specification for GPS is 1µs, and that gives more or less
exactly the -20 that the receiver reports, not so mysteriously after
all.

Regards,
Achim.