Timekeeping oddities on MacMini G4s

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Feb 5 01:53:29 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 17:19:21 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Then you have to take aging into account.  A 10 year old Mac may
> > have difted a lot.  Or maybe the crystal got bumped.
>
> > Also a lot of crystals are now surface mount.  The soldering
> > process may have bend to crystal a lot.
>
> Do you have references to any published data?

I have been looking hard for a week.  All I can find is handwaving.

The wikepedia page is typical:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator#Stability_and_aging

Lists of things affecting the crystal, but no real numnbers.

Even the few good data sets I can find are irrelevant unless we
know the specifics of you crystal.  What cut, frequency, model #,
excitation type,  etc.

All I really know is that I have seen motherbaords with frequencies that
are really far off.

Have you chronyd on your Mac yet?  What does it say your frequency is?

> A lot of that depends on what you mean by "a lot".  I haven't seen
> any good rumors that either age or soldering will shift a crystal any
> where near the 500 ppm scale that we are interested in.

This says 'low cost osciallators' are 100 ppm.  So 500 ppm does not seem that
far away to tme.