Reconstructing our issue list

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Feb 1 11:05:48 UTC 2017

Gitlab has had an outage.  They are working to recover, but it seems
their backups were hosed and then someone made a finger error. It is
possible that our issues and merge requests have been lost.

Account of the incident here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GCK53YDcBWQveod9kfzW-VCxIABGiryG7_z_6jHdVik/pub

Thankfully, we have kept on top of our work queue and NTPsec is not
very exposed. I think there was only one MR pending, an attempt to
make snap metadata.

A sightly cleaned up text dump of our issues list follows.  If you own
one of these bugs and can remember more content, please make notes about it
*immediately*, before your memory fades, and ship them in a reply to
this mail.

     * waf bin_test fails since python modules can't be found
       #228 · opened 3 weeks ago by Matt Selsky
       updated 3 weeks ago

     * Python test failure
       #225 · opened 3 weeks ago by Matt Selsky
       updated 3 weeks ago

     * ntpc.so is unable to resolve libpython2.7.1.0 on NetBSD
       #220 · opened a month ago by Matt Selsky
       updated a month ago

     * waf "host" part of the build doesn't use our CFLAGS
       #214 · opened a month ago by Matt Selsky
       updated a month ago

     * waf needs some tlc
       #212 · opened a month ago by Hal Murray
       updated 3 weeks ago

     * Warnings/Errors building with Oracle Developer Studio on Solaris 11
       #209 · opened a month ago by Matt Selsky
       updated 2 weeks ago

     * Build fails on Solaris 11 with gcc
       #207 · opened a month ago by Sanjeev Gupta
       updated a week ago

     * RFE: Support /etc/ntp.d or includes
       #204 · opened a month ago by Richard Laager
       updated a month ago

     * waf does not respect --mandir argument
       #179 · opened 2 months ago by Mike Swanson
       updated 2 months ago

     * RFE: Move baud rate and mode bits out of TTL field
       #173 · opened 2 months ago by Matt Selsky
       updated 2 months ago

     * Refclock #20 behaves perversely on GPS signal loss.
       #62 · opened 8 months ago by Gary E. Miller
       updated 3 months ago

     * Refclock #46, GPSD_JSON doc does not match the code.
       #58 · opened 8 months ago by Gary E. Miller
       updated 8 months ago

     * Refclock #46, GPSD_JSON, bad NMEA time
       #57 · opened 8 months ago by Gary E. Miller
       updated 8 months ago

     * ntpd refclock #46 just stops working.
       #55 · opened 8 months ago by Gary E. Miller
       updated 8 months ago

     * Confusion with drift at the rail
       #44 · opened 11 months ago by Hal Murray
       updated 10 months ago

My notes:

RFE: Support /etc/ntp.d or includes:
   We already have inclusion support, so this comes down to
   implementing a scan of /etc/ntp.d if it exists and using the
   configs found there.  I had a bit set to only interpret files
   anding in .conf sop we can also keep inactive configuratioon
   boilerplate here and enable/disable by changing links.

RFE: Move baud rate and mode bits out of TTL field
   This one refers to overloading the ttl field (named for its use
   in server descriptions) to hold mode information in refclock
   drivers. It's a trivial cleanup.

waf does not respect --mandir argument
   Just what it says on the tin.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no
rule making or legislation which would abrogate them.
        -- Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491