ntpd/varsion.h

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Dec 24 20:52:15 UTC 2017

Thanks.

> I don't think version.h itself belongs in a source tarball, but *some* kind
> of git-independent version information needs to be, so that one can build
> outside a git repo.  The current kludgery that one has to go through with
> autorevision is tedious.

There is also version.py

I think your "tedious" comment applies more to developers than downstream
users.  If we get the tarball right, it should all just-work.

I routinely rsync bits to systems without git and build without problems.
There is a layer of magic needed to make .autorevision-cache  I do that at
the shell level by copying the code that waf used to generate version.h and
then throwing away version.h  That has the side effect of making
.autorevision-cache which is what I really want.

We could clean things up by moving that code to waf where the make-tarball
script could use it.