Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 20 23:37:14 UTC 2017

Yo Richard!

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:27:55 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 12/20/2017 05:00 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Neither --prefix, nor DESTDIR
> > affect the generated and installed files.
>
> I haven't checked, but I'm willing to stipulate that PREFIX is not
> *currently* being embedded in any files installed by NTPsec.

I just did.  Not being embedded.

IMHO, never should be.  I do a lot of clustering and NFS mounts.
Embedding locations in files makes that much harder.

> The proposed "option H" is a change which would start embedding the
> PREFIX or PYTHONDIR (which, by default, is based on PREFIX) inside the
> installed files. It would not, however, embed DESTDIR.

I agree to not do DESTDIR, but IMHO PREFIX is also a no go.

> In the examples below, I am embedding PYTHONDIR (again, based on
> PREFIX by default), as I think that is what we really want. You'll
> see why when you look at the custom --pythondir example.

Maybe as a non-default option.  But his would totally hose
being able to move binaries around.

> In this way, the PYTHONDIR overrides the default locations. This fixes
> the case of distro package in /usr + source install to /usr/local.

But makes it hard for a distro packager to install and test in DESTDIR
before packaing up the binaries.  Plus, for a distro, not neet for
PYTHONDIR override as the result will be in /usr and be normally
accessible.