Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Dec 20 03:00:48 UTC 2017

On 12/19/2017 07:50 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:

I think we're on the same page.

> I) waf could install a file in /usr/local/etc to tell ntpsec Python
> programs where to look.

How does the utility know to look in /usr/local/etc? If we have to put
the PREFIX into the utility, this is a more complicated version of "H".

To shorten:
E) PYTHONPATH in the environment
F) .pth file in /usr/.../pythonX.Y/....-packages
G) utilities look at argv[0] path and modify sys.path
H) waf puts PREFIX (or PYTHONDIR) into utilities

I (and some others from what I see) feel F > E, because environment
variables are hard to get inherited everywhere (cron, systemd, sudo,
etc.). However, this either requires user-action or violating PREFIX.

What's wrong with G or H? Either would make this work without user
action, which is superior to both E & F. For that reason, they seem like
attractive ways to get the right value into sys.path. Of the two, H
seems a little more "normal" than G.

--
Richard