Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Dec 20 00:42:52 UTC 2017

On 12/19/2017 06:30 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:22:11 -0600
> Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2017 05:48 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
>>> I never, ever, ever, considered PYTHONPATH == sys.path.
>>
>> Do you agree that sys.path is the authoritative list of directories
>> that are actually searched at run-time, by the python interpreter?
>
> Never doubted it
Excellent. Do you agree with each of the following (substituting the
actual version for X.Y):

A) By default, NTPsec should install to /usr/local.

B) If NTPsec's wafhelpers/fix_python_config.py is removed, when NTPsec
is configured with --prefix=/usr/local, the Python modules will
(excluding Debian) install to:
/usr/local/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ntp

C) For a stock upstream Python installed to the normal location of /usr,
/usr/local/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ntp is not in sys.path by default.

D) The combination of B + C means that NTPsec's python utilities (e.g.
ntpq) will not work out-of-the-box, because they can't find the ntp module.

E) If the user sets PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ntp in
their environment, NTPsec's python utilities will then work.

F) If the user unsets PYTHONPATH in their environment and creates
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/local.pth with the contents (no quotes)
"/usr/local/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ntp", NTPsec's python utilities will
then work.

--
Richard