Fix for Issue #409

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Dec 19 13:02:48 UTC 2017

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> I'm not following what you are trying to describe.
>
> If a bad guy can set things up so the write to a file does something nasty,
> can't they just do the nasty stuff directly?

The point is that they can sometimes do even more nasty things,
privilege escalation sometimes takes quite a few steps.  But instead of
me trying to explain, perhaps Eric will do a better job of reasoning
about it, since he introduced the code:

https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/commit/bff07e719153093ec895d4a7a3a60e896f73da53

It was then moved back out from intercept to where it is now (and
already was there before in classic) during some refactoring.

> Changing the mode would work.  But then we have to decide what mode to
> use.

The question by Richard still stands, though: we should not do anything
as root that can be done with lesser privileges, so why not defer
reading the drift file until after we've dropped root?  That would be
vastly preferrable to any of the other workarounds discussed.

Regards,
Achim.