Preparing for a point release

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 19 05:07:04 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 20:53:25 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > Well, in Gentoo, you are never supposed to directly
> > access /usr/lib64. You are only supposed to access /usr/lib which
> > is a link to lib32 or lib64, which ever is in current use.
>
> On this Fedora box, /usr/lib/ and /usr/lib64/ are different
> directories. /usr/lib64/ is much bigger.

As expected.  Neither are links?  I did notice some distros put
32-bits in /usr/lib and 64-bits in /usr/lib64.  no accounting for
taste, we gotta figure it out, and conform to it.  Or at least give
the user that installs from source the tools to adapt.

Oh, and don't forget /lib, /lib32 and /lib64

> There is also /usr/libexec/

Unrelated.  The FHS says (section 4.7. /usr/libexec : Binaries run by
other programs (optional)":

> I thought the idea was that most stuff went into usr and only the 32
> or 64 bit specific stuff went into lib32 or lib64.  I don't know
> where I picked that up.

Dunno, and clearly no standard.  The FHS says /usr/lib, /usr/lib32 and
/usr/lib64 are optional alternatives.

And we are not worried about 'most stuff', we are worried about NTPsec.