Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 19 03:10:47 UTC 2017

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 22:34:46 -0600
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/2017 09:31 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Conversely, any plain '/waf install' by user/admin, from our
> > source, should go in a place, that MUST require that location in to
> > be in PYTHONPATH.
>
> On 12/08/2017 10:04 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > IFF you installed with './waf install', and
> > your PYTHONPATH is unmodified, then that is just plain wrong.
>
> When you say PYTHONPATH, do you mean:
>
> 1) "a custom directory set in the environment variable PYTHONPATH"
> or
> 2) A directory that python searches.

Hmm... I think those are the same.  How do you think they differ?

And not sure why you said 'custom' for #1 and not for #2?

> #1 is PYTHONPATH. #2 is sys.path, not PYTHONPATH.

Ummmm...  Lost me.  Explain?

> If you're advocating that ntpsec's default should install to a
> non-standard place,

Umm, not me.  I'm all for following standards as much as possible.

> such that a user MUST configure a custom
> PYTHONPATH environment variable,

Uhmmm.. well, the standard is that by default user installed packeges
go in /usr/local, and the standard is taht PYTHONPATH should not
include /usr/local.

I'm just going with the standard.  You don't like it, talk to the FHS
and disrto people and get them to change their minds.

> I think literally everyone else here
> disagrees with you.

Uhmmm.... except all the standards people?  Given a choice between
;litterally everyone' and the 'standars people', I'll go with the
'standards people'.

> We are all trying to figure out how to make it
> work by default.

Yup!

> There is admittedly some disagreement as to whether
> that goal is higher or lower priority than respecting --prefix.

I'm not wedded to --prefix, but pretty much every source package I install
uses --prefix.  If we go against what pretty much every one does (--prefix)
then we better have a pretty good alternative story.

My guess is that we always support --prefix, but maybe a simple option
that does something cool for people, without confusing them.