Do Python libraries need a ersion number?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Dec 15 09:34:25 UTC 2017

devel at ntpsec.org said:
> This seems like the expected result to me. On my Ubuntu system, /usr/local/
> lib/python2.7/dist-packages comes before /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages in
> sys.path, and /usr/local/bin and sbin come before /usr/bin and sbin.

I was thinking of the case where somebody else had used our libraries.

The same problem happens if somebody explicitly says /usr/bin/ntpq which
might be buried in a script.

But you point out another interesting can of worms.  On fedora, /usr/local/
isn't on the normal search path.

This system has a /etc/profile.d/ccache.csh
I assume we can do something similar.  Looks like a parallel with setting up
local.pth