Is there any reason the drift file should be mode 600?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Dec 15 09:05:12 UTC 2017

rlaager at wiktel.com said:
>> That sort of stuff used to be easy before systemd
> It's still easy. Add this to ntpd.service:
> ExecStartPre=-/bin/chmod -f 664 /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

I think I tried something like that to setup the ldattch for the PPS and
systemd nuked the backgrounded ldattch job.

Is there a shell command to daemonize a command?  What are the right words
for what I want to do?  I want to make a job invisible to systemd.

I'm thinking of something like:
ExecStartPre=/etc/sysconfig/ntpd

The file name isn't critical.  That's where I put stuff in the pre-systemd
days.