Bite of the Buildbugs!

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Dec 15 02:58:37 UTC 2017

>From your email, it sounds like we now agree on nearly everything.

I think we agree on the following as a viable, and probably the best,
option:

In the `waf install` process, after the PYTHONDIR directory is created,
check sys.path. If PYTHONDIR is not in sys.path, do $SOMETHING.

It sounds like you propose that $SOMETHING be: create a .pth file in
unprefixed get_python_lib(), with the contents being the path to PYTHONDIR.

For example, we might create /usr/lib/python2.7/local.pth with:
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/

I propose that $SOMETHING be: *print a warning telling the user to*
create a .pth file in unprefixed get_python_lib(), with the contents
being the path to PYTHONDIR.

For example, we might print:
WARNING: PREFIX is /usr/local, but /usr/local/lib/python2.7/ is not
WARNING: in Python's sys.path.  For the NTPsec utilities to work, you
WARNING: must correct this.  To do so, create a file named:
WARNING:   /usr/lib/python2.7/local.pth
WARNING: with the contents:
WARNING:   /usr/local/lib/python2.7/

My reasoning is that punting the problem to the user is less bad than
violating PREFIX. I believe your reasoning is that working is less bad
than a small PREFIX violation.

It's not my decision. I can handle either approach as a packager. If
working out-of-the-box is a higher priority than fully respecting
PREFIX, I agree that creating a .pth file is the right approach.

--
Richard