Bite of the Buildbugs!

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:34:03 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 04:26 PM, Ian Bruene wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 10:52 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>> Do you understand the problem well enough that you could specify an upstream fix?
> I'm not yet certain whether python or the distributions have
> jurisdiction here. Earlier comments from rlaager suggest that it is
> the distributions. Working on getting an error specification...

After reviewing the bits of data among the arguments again, yes, python
paths are controlled by the distribution.

Breakage I know of well enough to specify:

* Fedora does not have /usr/local/ in its path

* Ubuntu 17.04 (mine) does not include /usr/local/lib/python3 is its
path. Unfortunately python tells it to install there, instead of
python3.5 / 3.6 / etc

So how does this work? Just hunt down each distribution that has a path
problem and file a bug report?

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb